Monday, June 21, 2010

Upcoming "Agricultural Bus Tour"

Yukari has succeeded in signing Ruben and me up for a day-long “agricultural bus tour” on or around July 1. I’ve been turned on by the idea of this experience.  Ruben's looking forward to it, too. We appreciate Yukari handling all the application processing.

We'll get bused out to the country and pick pick broccoli, eat a farm fresh meal with delicious soba (buckwheat) noodles, pick strawberries (eat all we can pick). Does this sound like slave labor for foreigners? Really, we'll probably be the only non-Japanese participants. Sounds great, right?

A few days ago Yukari got more info and told me the program requires you to be a resident. I think she told them we are residents because we’re residing with them while we’re there.

I just learned that she also told them I speak Japanese! Ha-ha. (Have been learning the language. But skills are minimal at best.)  I have about a week after we get there to learn some sentences for the bus tour. O boy. I think I’ll start by learning how to say, “Can you guys take a joke?”

... Will keep you "posted."

2 comments:

Sara said...

That sounds wonderful.

Buzz said...

They bus you out to the country... but do they really actually bus you back??? Only time will tell!!